[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [APD] Securing Tanks for Earthquakes

If I were going to construct something of this nature I would inspect the
use of "break away motor mounts" found in almost all automobiles since
around 95 and up. They have vary large rubber grommets that absorb vibration
very well. They most often have a flat mounting flange with bolt holes and
then a large steel sleeved rubber grommet. Something like this would isolate
the tank from the abrupt movement the wall may experience during a shake.
Isolating the tank from the floor is another parameter to consider.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon McLellan [mailto:gordonthree at gmail_com] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 09:16 AM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] Securing Tanks for Earthquakes


That sounds like an interesting idea, giant rubber bands!

I think the engineering term for it is "elastometric" ... I've only
seen it used in very small scale applications; isolation of a dvd
video recorder in the trunk of a police car, and smaller yet; the hard
drives inside my "low noise" computer case... but perhaps it can be
scaled up.

One big question is, how do you test that solution?  Maybe someone on
the list works in a a university with a seismic research lab, and
could put a 10 gal fish tank on a stand, with rubber bands to the
walls, for their next shake down test?

The other thing, those rubber tie-downs seem to be really fragile ...
the work OK for a few months, and then the rubber dries up or
something, and next thing you know, its snapped or crumbling in your
hands.  Perhaps its because I buy the cheapest ones I can, or maybe
its just a flaw common to all of them.  So would it become another
maintenance task to inspect, retension and replace those straps every
few months?


On 2/1/06, Jerry Baker <jerry at bakerweb_biz> wrote:
> As is probably the case for a lot of people with tanks located along the
> California coastal areas, one of my worst nightmares is waking up at two
> o'clock in the morning to the sound of 1500 pounds of glass, sand,
> water, and fish crashing down onto my floor in an earthquake. I was
> surprised at the relatively small number of postings to this list on the
> subject.
> It occurs to me that bolting the stand to the wall studs and having a
> lip around all four sides of the stand is the way to go, but I worry
> about torsion forces on the glass, as well as violent shaking, if the
> stand is fixed tightly to the wall. I would prefer to have some sort of
> rubber mount that could have some give to dampen the lateral motion
> somewhat, but I'm not sure of anything readily available to function in
> that capacity. I am actually contemplating some large rubber bands
> (http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/218446_front500.jpg) and
> attaching them with some considerable tension to eye bolts in the studs
> and in the stand. Any ideas or opinions?
> --
> Jerry Baker
> _______________________________________________
> Aquatic-Plants mailing list
> Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
> http://www.actwin.com/mailman/listinfo/aquatic-plants

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com