Re: [APD] Securing Tanks for Earthquakes

In an earthquake it is the floor that moves, and the wall that lags
behind.  (I have watched the joint between the walls at the corner and
the wall and floor move during a quake where I just happened to be
looking that way.)  The danger to the aquarium is from the water not
wanting to move, while the tank has to move with it's stand, which has
to move because the  floor moves.  Thus the water sloshes really bad.
If the earthquake is so bad that a sturdy stand fails or the tank
shakes off the stand, you will probably have far more serious things to
worry about than the loss of the tank, the fish, the plants, the
aquarium equipment, etc.  So, the effort to protect an aquarium with
elastic mounts is extremely unlikely to be effective or even worth the
effort.  But, if one wanted really, really badly to protect their
aquarium, the elastic mounts would have to be shear mounts, placed
between the floor and the stand, and the stand would have to be very
rigid.  Even that would be ineffective during the rare earthquakes with
severe vertical ground movement.

Vaughn H.