Re: [APD] The siphon saga continues...need safety shutoff!

Okay. Now I understand your point.

I thought it was the more typical problem of gas collecting
in the tube, not from bubbles rising from plants but from
high gas content in the water "offgassing" while in the
tube, particularly when the the flow is low or the siphon
is idle.

This is apparently an issue with CPR type overflows that
are designed to allow a high volume of water to flow
through a relatively large siphon. Even while the siphon is
running, bubbles tend to collect, and while idle, much more
so.

There's a lot of discussion about it on the reef sites and
on CPR's FAQ.

If this is the problem,then a second siphon tube that is
sitting idle most of time may be just as likely to
accumulate gas, perhaps enough so to break the siphon.

Scott H.
--- Laura Burbage <leuhrich at yahoo_com> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the air was getting into the
> siphon because the plants were pearling a lot, no?  If
> this is the case, then the part of the skimmer box
> that resides _inside_ the tank will keep out the
> bubbles.  The bubbles would go around it, and break at
> the water surface, while surface water overflows into
> the skimmer box.  Even if a few bubbles did get into
> the skimmer box, they would still stay at the top (and
> break), while the intake for the siphon is a few
> inches lower.  The inside skimmer box is also what
> keeps your tank from draining if the pump should stop
> (the water level falls below the top surface of the
> box and ceases to drain into it).  Oh! and a really
> good point that I didn't think of was that both
> siphons could drain to the same outside overflow box,
> preventing water from evaporating from it. If the
> second inside skimmer box is higher than the first,
> the siphon will just sit there on call until needed.
>
> OK, really primitive drawing below to show the path of
> the bubbles that are currently getting in the siphon.
>
> -Laura
>
>               siphon
>           ______________
>    inside | __________  |
>       box | |         | |
> ~~~:~~~|~~| |~~|~! |  | |      |
>    : . |  | |  | ! |  | |      |
>       .|_______| ! |~~| |~| |~~|
>         . .      ! |  | | | |  | outside overflow box
>  tank      :     ! |______| |__|
>            :     !        | |
>         bubbles  !        to sump
>            :     !
> WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia