Re: [APD] The siphon saga continues...need safety shutoff!

Wait... I think there is some confusion in this discussion. I think you are
under the impression that they are using an overflow siphon without a skimmer
box... I don't think they are doing that (or at least that's not how I
interpreted their message).  If they ARE doing that they are just asking for
trouble... thats a completely uncontrolled siphon. Without a skimmer box it is
possible for the siphon to siphon faster than the pump pumps, and it will
continue to siphon when the pump is turned off. In fact, it would be very
tricky to set something up like that because you would have to make sure the
flow rate is the same as the pump. That being said, I really don't think that
is what they are trying to do... I imagine they are using a skimmer box just
like everybody else.

I think their main problem with bubbles is caused by a combination of
outgassing and turbulence.

1) Outgassign:  He mentioned the pearling because that means the water is
saturated with O2... that means it is possible for bubbles to form inside the
skimmer box (outgassing). He doesnt necessarily mean those bubbles from the
plants are getting into the siphon tube.

2) Turbulence: When the water falls into the siphon box sometimes there is
some turbulence that can cause bubbles to get pushed into the siphon tube.

Outgassing is particularly a problem if you have a second siphon that doesnt
have a continuous flow (as suggested earlier). Eventually the water will
outgass and create bubbles in the top, possibly enough to break the siphon.

Next, the issue of evaporation doesnt have anything to do with the outside
overflow box... it has to do with the inside box. If you want to have a siphon
that doesnt siphon until the water level rises (the main siphon fails), you
have to put a tube around it keeping it from siphoning until the water rises
above the level of that tube. Below is a picture

   |  |      |  |
   |  |      |  |
   |  |      |  |
   |  |    | |  | |
   |  |    | |  | | --------> the water inside this tube will evaporate
           |      |           and break the siphon.

Someone mentioned before that it would replenish itself from the outside box,
this is impossible because the water level on the outside box must be lower
than this level in order for the other one to siphon. Thus water cannot move
from the outside box to the inside box. No matter what, you are going to have
evaporation problems and outgassing problems with a non moving siphon.