Re: Booth heating cables

I said:

>> The only explanation that makes sense is 12-18mts is the length
>> of time it takes an "almost optimum" aquarium to build up serious
>> alleopathic compounds that will inhibit plant's growth.  What do you think?

Booth:

>I don't think I would agree. We spent lots of time vacuuming gravel and
>moving plants around so I would discount alleochemicals.

>My preferred hypothesis is that the substrate supplies some/most of the
>nutrients that plants need, especially/maybe trace elements (iron, etc). If
>there is no mechanism to replace the nutrients that plants use, the
substrate
>becomes relatively infertile. It will still support some growth so the
plants
>don't die. But the Liebig Minimum Law comes into play - the plants can't get
>enough of all the nitrients they need (or perhaps only a single specific
>nutrient that is best supplied by the substrate) and that shortfall
becomes the
>limiting growth factor no matter how much light and CO2 and what all you
throw
>at it.

Therefore, substrate fertilization in your opinion should do the trick
(provided the nutrients are complete)?

Do soil substrates work as well as gravel w/ heating cables?

See my NEW AQUARIUM HARDWARE & TOOLKIT:
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.floridadriftwood.com
eBay specials;  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/