Re: : flame wars & H2O2 in the planted tank, etc

Roger wrote
| What I find most galling in this little flame fest are the newbies and
| lurkers coming out of the woodwork to complain about the attitude and
| advise of long time list participants.  Any one who's been on this list
| very long knows James to be helpful, reserved and understanding.  Also
| those who have been on the list for a while know that isn't a tribute from
| an old ally; James and I often disagree.

Robert H wrote
| Well personally I found his comments to be very harsh and unnecessary.
| Carmen seemed to take offense to it and I am not surprised other people
did
| as well. If you want to call that a flame war, well OK. I fully respect
and
| even admire some of the long standing members of this group, and I think
we
| are lucky that they participate, but many people, lurkers or not, have
| varying degrees of knowledge and experience, and interest. Many of these
| people even though you dont know their name, I am sure feel a part of this
| group and want to be treated as equals. I think they may even be surprised
| that you would call them "newbies coming out of the woodwork" Nobody likes
| to be looked down upon or made to feel inadequate no matter how sutle or
| unintentional it is. Why were James comments needed in the first place?
| Cant a discussion simply run its course without putting demands on how
| someone should offer comments or advice?

I agree that we should let discussions run their course and quit complaining
that we don't like the way a certain thread is developing. After all forums
are meant to be open, with participation from experts, newbies, lurkers,
etc. If someone doesn't find a particular thread to their interest, they can
just skip it.

A newbie's question, idea or thought can often inject new interest into a
discussion or remind us of something we had previously forgotten. Why do you
think big successful companies are often looking to hire new young people to
bring in fresh energy and ideas.

Keeping aquatic plants can be as much of an art as it is a science, just
like any other type of gardening. Many times, a person is very good at it
(green thumb) and doesn't have any idea why or know anything at all about
the science part of it. They just know that what they do works.

'Live and let live' and 'Keep an open mind' are two motto's I like to try
and live by.

Brenda
Watergardening in the Desert!