Re: Booth heating cables

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:00:07 -0400
> From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>

> Therefore, substrate fertilization in your opinion should do the trick
> (provided the nutrients are complete)?

Yes, provided it is evenly distributed such that allthe plants can get it.

> Do soil substrates work as well as gravel w/ heating cables?

Many folks (Steve, Neil, Diana come to mind) seem to have great low tech tanks
with soil.

> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:11:27 -0400 (EDT)
> From: joeah at webtv_net (Joe Hildreth)
>
> I would appreciate hearing opinions on what has changed in older
> substrates and how we plant keepers can maintain an older substrate.

IMHO, plants get nutrients from the substrate. After awhile, there isn't enough
left to keep the plants healthy.

Or maybe the nutrients go through chemical changes over time and are no longer
in a form usable by the plants.

Or maybe with no circulation, alleochemicals build up in the substrate.

Or maybe the soil is too dense or becomes compacted, creating an unfavorable
environment.

Or maybe some of all of the above.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts