Re: Re: Re: Need some help! Now Never returned to the wild

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, mcclurg luke e wrote:

Just a couple of points.

> we try to do things such as species reintroductions whether from captive
> or wild caught stock.  A perfect example (to me anyway) of when this
> policy should not be in effect is R. Rice's "The Resurrection of Fox Den
> Lake".  (sorry to drag you into this Robert)  :)  And again, I do on
> occasions capture and use wild caught fishes to stock farm ponds.

No disagreement there as long as it is done based on as local a stock as
possible.

> I sincerely ask anyone who has data on diseases
> being spread and wiping out populations of natives to share this info.

One example is whirling disease in rainbow trout (rt are introduced in many
parts but native to others).  This disease which has only been recognised for
the last few years appears to be destroying entire populations.  It was
primarily shifted around by sloppy hatchery practices.  It hasn't been
detected for long enough to know if it will fully wipe out entire populations
but it certain seems to be going that way in some places.  It only affects new
born trout, hence the population is eliminated when the last adult fish die
and none have been produced to replace them.  It also looks like it will
infect native cutthroat trout too.  I'm not sure if anyone knows what it's
origin is, seem to remember it is spread via tubifex worms and the like.
Also, I think most fisheries managers would consider it to the equivelent of
Ebola without a doubt.

> Another point is if a
> person collects a fish, thinks it's one species, but it turns out to be
> another species that is protected.  It happens...some species look VERY
> similar.  Regardless of whether it's been in you tank or not, that fish
> MUST be returned to the waters it was collected from.  (at least that's
> how I understand the law in Kansas)  Unless of course you can pay the
> multi-thousands of dollars in fines and/or jail time.  :)  Even then, the
> fish still goes back.

Actually if it is Federally listed it would still be illegal to release it.
The only thing you could do is destroy it or better yet talk to your local
public aquarium and try to donate it to them through the back door (which is
not always an option in many states which don't have one).

Tootles
Peter Unmack