Re: Re: Re: Need some help! Now Never returned to the wild

  S'pose I SHOULD explain myself.  I think it is an excellent policy in
regards to exotics.  My disagreements stem largely from the same issues I
was debating with Peter last week.

  I think a rigid policy of 'once caugth never released' will tie up our
hands (and perhaps make us look hypocritical to other organizations) when
we try to do things such as species reintroductions whether from captive
or wild caught stock.  A perfect example (to me anyway) of when this
policy should not be in effect is R. Rice's "The Resurrection of Fox Den
Lake".  (sorry to drag you into this Robert)  :)  And again, I do on
occasions capture and use wild caught fishes to stock farm ponds.  It is
common practice in these parts...for generations.  (I also realize that
doesn't make it right...even though I still do it...I s'pose that does
make me a bit of a hypocrit in that respect)
 Not to mention the fact that some fisheries biologists could possibly
take offense because of their own policies and ideas on fisheries
management and techniques.  I think I am most worried about alienating
potential allies in the overall struggle to conserve natives.  I
understand the disease question but think (personally) it is a much
over-emphasized 'ghost'.  I sincerely ask anyone who has data on diseases
being spread and wiping out populations of natives to share this info.  (I
don't know it all and am willing to admit it)  :)  Personally, any fish
kills and 'wipeouts' I have heard of in this part of the country have come
from feedlots, pesticides and algae blooms (caused by the feedlots)  I
have not heard of any fish kills due to diseases.  Another point is if a
person collects a fish, thinks it's one species, but it turns out to be
another species that is protected.  It happens...some species look VERY
similar.  Regardless of whether it's been in you tank or not, that fish
MUST be returned to the waters it was collected from.  (at least that's
how I understand the law in Kansas)  Unless of course you can pay the
multi-thousands of dollars in fines and/or jail time.  :)  Even then, the
fish still goes back.

These are my general reasons for a slightly more flexible stance on the
"one caught, never released" policy in regards to natives.

 More 'open and productive' comments are encouraged.

Luke

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 Phylesis at aol_com wrote:

> >Sorry...I have some disagreements with this policy then.
>
> >Luke
>
> It's open to a productive exchange of ideas    : )
>
> Daryl

Follow-Ups: References: