Re: Discussion on Mexican fish

Hello NANF Members,

I've been on this list for about a year and have enjoyed reading the posts
greatly. Not only the question and answer type posts, but the articles and
collecting stories have been great. I've been meaning to be a 'paid' member
of NANF for some time. I will do it this week. I think this is a great group
that can serve not only the hobby interest of the members, but NANF can also
be a important contributor to appreciation and conservation of our native fish.

I wanted to voice my opinion on this thread only because I would not like to
see more posts on what is qualified to be posted than what gets posted and
discussed pertaining to native North American fish. Too many good discussion
groups have had their value diminished by discussing the group policy rather
then discussing the group's subject of interest.

The best solution is to clearly define the focus of the group. If the group
and it's discussions are intended to be precisely focused, then define it
precisely.  If the group should be less precisely defined, have this as a
policy of the group.

Ok, now for my opinion on the Mexico/North America/cold water/tropical
issue. I like the name of NANF because it means 'North America'. I think the
arbitrary boundaries of the nations of the United States, Canada, and Mexico
should be ignored by this group as much as they are ignored by the animals
that inhabit North America. NANF should embrace the NAFTA philosophy. We are
all on this continent together, and if we cooperate, we can become stronger
and achieve our goals together, and we all will benefit.

I realize that one of the goals of NANF is to influence government policy on
native fish resources. Areas that our countries share, and the native fish
that call it home, would benefit if government policies were similar or
identical. For example, if Canada adopted a great policy on the preservation
of it's native fish, it would be to our advantage to use their policies as a
good example to help us influence the United States government and Mexico's
government.

On another point, I have always thought of this group as an educator and
information exchange. I have learned so much over the past year from this
group that I could not have learned anywhere else. Not only have I been more
encouraged in my hobby, but the obvious enthusiasm of most of the postings
on this list have fueled my interest and made me more aware of the
importance of conservation, study and breeding of our native fish. Because
of my interest in native fish, a few of my friends now have native tanks.
They also are now more aware and appreciative of the amazing aquatic
resources that are in their own town and country. When people value
something, they want to protect it.

I think that as Mexico becomes more 'wired', and therefore have easier
access to NANF, that we would want to encourage and help the people of that
country to protect their natural aquatic resources as we are trying. And I
know that I would be very interested in information and collecting stories
of Mexican natives, especially specimens that are directly or indirectly
related to our (USA) native. I live in Brevard county in Florida which is
right on the border of the 'tropical' region. Information from sections of
Mexico might be close to the environment that I live in. I haven't in the
past posted much, but now I'm not sure that the environment where I live
meets the 'cold water' criteria.

let's include all of the North American Continent.

That's my opinion.
Bob Nawrocki

>Hello All,
>
>I too think that a comprehensive view of what is North America should
>include Mexico and Canada, and in addition the Greater Antilles Islands
>(Lee, et. al.).  However, this is not the NANFA list, this is the NANF list.
>Wiegert was the one to found the NANF list, and as the creator, I believe
>that he has the right to define the parameters of discussion.
>
>Norm

I've been on this list for about a year and have enjoyed reading the
posts greatly. Not only the question and answer type posts, but the
articles and collecting stories also. I've been meaning to be a 'paid' member
of NANF for some time. I will do it this week. I think this is a great group
that can serve not only the hobby interst I wanted to voice my opinion on
this thread only because I don't want it to see more discussion on what
should be posted