Re: NFC: Another Filter/Aquarium Question

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Larry Needham wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:51:20 -0600
> From: Larry Needham <LBN at satx_rr.com>
> To: nfc at actwin_com
> Subject: Re: NFC: Another Filter/Aquarium Question
>
> Those who have wet / dry filters...are your bio balls submerged?
Well, Larry, thats an awfully personal question, and I'm not so sure I
want to answer it in this public a forum, but....

There  are two schools of thought on this:  One, good water flow and
turbulence carries enough O2 in to the bacteria on the Bioballs, and they
should all just be submerged. The second is that more O2 is better, and
the water should trickle over the bioball surface area.  'm of the first
school, and think its better to just have them ompletely submerged.  It
works more like a live rock or other surface filter, and the water gets
better filtered.  In trickling systems, you tend to wind up with dead
spots fairly easily
Joshua.