Re: NFC: Another Filter/Aquarium Question

No, at six times per hour your are doing a LOT of
oxygenation but not helping the biological processes
appreciably more. As I stated, a complete change six
times a day gets the water through enough times to
maintain a healthy biological population. Oxygenation
becomes a factor if, you have a high density of
biolife, and/or fish with a very high oxygenation
requirement.

We are now into my masters thesis/project, and I can
bore everyone with pages of data, but for home
aquariums, unless you have a highly stocked tank, or
are keeping a pound of fish to a gallon then the very
high water turnovers are on the 'wrong' side of the
cost curve. If, we are talking about marine tanks and
you are trying to come up to the minimal reef
conditions then yes, blast it and let the good times
roll. My friend Tom Miller told me of a fellow who had
275 Xs per hour turnover! More like a whirlpool then a
reef change! Dont try it at home without adult
supervision! I have no idea how he could even see into
the tank at the turbulence.

If cost isnot a factor then go for it, but, for an
example, to achieve a stream effect you can do it well
with a couple powerheads with the sponge
filters.Myself I like them on ugf, and maybe a HOB or
two on a 75.Canisters add another safety factor. Hard
to overfiltrate. Thats the good thing.

There is no one right way, its all variations per the
individual, and 99.999% of them work within simple
parameters. For average tanks that arenot heavily
stocked 6 times a day turnover works. For heavier
stocked tanks 1-2 times an hour is quite sufficient
but if you want more go for it. This is all about
enjoying what we do.

I use Aquarium Systems powerheads, with or without the

ugf's, and generally go with the larger capacity ones
so actually my water turnover is on the high side but,
mainly because I have had marine systems with corals.
jake