Re: where are the plecos (was: NFC: guide to keeping natives..bucket boy style)

Chris Guppenberger, Frozen Research Biologist, wrote:

>>  10" pleco...... Oh yea..... bring it on.... where do I go
>>  to get them?   I need like a dozen so I can have a
>>  pleco-B-Q  I need to try out a new ERP recipe on
>>  them.... I hear curry pleco is pretty durn good so I
>>  need some bigger ones....

I was down in Boynton Beach visiting my son during the summer, and he took me out to see the interesting (and unknown to him) things in the drainage ditches (more like canals, really) around the apartment complex into which he had he'd just moved. There were lots of 15" plecos seemingly soaking up the sunlight in open spots in one foot deep water, and thousands of cichlids of various sizes. I subsequently identified the vertically striped 1" juvies I caught to be one of the Tilapia species, and the larger ones were probably (mostly?) the same. We saw indigenous predators (gar, bass) cruising, but I don't recall off-hand having seen any native sunfish.

You wouldn't want regular 5-gal buckets to be doing collections of exotics in that kind of territory, you'd need the GuppenTruck (tm) loaded with 55-gal drums.

Doug "frosty toes" Dame
Interlachen FL