Flowering plant #2

Hey guys
        I recently posted about what I thought was Aponogeton ulvaceus
flowering in my tank. First one shoot went up and the flower was not what
the book described. It said flower twin spiked and yellow. Then said self
sterile. I'm no botonist but I do now have two spikes from the base of the
plant to the surface is that what twin spiked means. The flower is also
weird. In stead of one flower. It's a stalk about 4-6 in. long with little
flowers in rings around the stalk. There must be thirty or forty to each
flower spike. Does the self sterile mean I should not try and poolinate it
between the two flowers. Will it do this it's self.
        Just for the argument sakes. I had to take the glass of my tank to
let the flowers grow out. I see the buety of an open top tank. But in a
week I lost an inch of water from my 55. Now the house is dry but thats a
lot of water. And I still think lights would have to be really big to light
the tank with an open top. It seems like a lot of trouble with little
benfit. any arguments?

Matt Estep
Smiley21 at boone_net
828 264 3756