Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #472

In a message dated 8/25/98 8:07:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Aquatic-Plants-
Owner at actwin_com writes:

<<
 I was really really stupid and I bought some decorative rock instead of
 regular aquarium gravel. I forgot to check if it was crushed marble because
it
 makes the water hard. Well..I bought it for my 100 gallon tank and I added
150
 pounds of it. After filling up the water, I notices a layer of mineral
 deposits at the surface of the water on the glass. Then it hit me. I had
 bought Crushed Marble. How stupid! So, now I need to figure out if I should
 find something to make it less hard or I should buy totally new gravel.

 Any advice?

Mark, give it the heave-ho... and start with something with a lower solubility
product constant for alkalinity... There are no practical upsides to keeping
the crushed marble.
Bob Fenner