Re: V3 #92 - Andrea's algae problem

     First of all, this is not intended as a personal criticism. I simply mean
to inform beginners of information they need. I do not intend to offend, but
rather to help.
     Weekly or at least monthly water changes are the most important thing you
can do to keep the amount of algae down and keep your fish healthy. This
doesn't mean just adding water when it evaporates.  You have to take 10% to
30% of the old, dirty water out and replace it with fresh water. All sorts of
fish waste build up over time, giving the algae plenty of nutrients. The waste
also harms the fish, as you can imagine. People wouldn't do very well living
in a sewer either.
     Mollies also are healthier with a small amount of salt in the water,
usually 1/2 to 3 teaspoons per gallon is recommended for them. Most other
freshwater fish don't like this much salt. If you are keeping mollies with
other fish, I would recommend 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Also, the salt doesn't
evaporate with the water, so only add salt after water is removed for a water
change.
     I would also recommend that you use Otocinclus catfish or Bristlenose
cats
( Ancistrus)  for algae control. Chinese algae eaters don't eat algae much
once they get past about 4 inches long, they often attack other fish, and can
grow to over a foot long.
     I hope this helps.