Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #862

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:13:02 +0000 (   )
> From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
> Subject: Three questions
>
> I've got three questions on different subjects.  I hope some of you can
> help.
>
> "excess" Ca++

snip...

> DIPA iron

snip...

> DIY CO2 bubbles
>
> I've been bubbling my yeast-generated CO2 through an airline to the intake
> of an Aquaclear over-the-back filter.  The bubbles don't come out in a
> regular stream.  Instead they usually come out every 6 seconds or so in
> "globs" of 2 or more rather large bubbles.  Right now my outlet is a piece
> of hard plastic tubing cut at an angle.  I'd rather get a steady stream of
> smaller bubbles spaced more or less evenly so that I can better gage the
> state of my brew.  How do others get that effect?  I used an airstone for
> a while, but got a whispy white growth on the stone, so I stopped.
>

> Roger Miller
>
> In normally dry Albuquerque, where cool rains are making a guest
> appearance.

Sorry I am so far behind in my reading but, our classes on wastewater in
school did mention a problem with excess calcium, but we were told that
concentrations in most municipal systems were well below any that would
cause a problem.  Since the water where I went to school was very high in
both calcium and magnesium and was regularly treated by growing crops with
it, I doubt that the concentrations in a fish tank will be a problem
(unless we are talking about ciclids maybe)

I don't know about the dipa, but I have a similar arrangment with my CO2
and I have found that I can inject at the pump rather than at the intake
and get better results.  I am in Albuquerque so if you want to see the
set-up just let me know.

     Paul Wolfenbarger E.I.

     Structures               Aquatics          pwolfen at nmia_com
     Music                    Felines

	Each man  must for himmself alone decide what is right and what is
	  wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't.  You
	  cannot shirk this and be a man.

				--Mark Twain