co2 bell jar, needle valves

re co2 needle valves, for some time I tried to run two tanks off one
regulator.  The Dupla fine needle valve was followed by a standard air
line distribution system consisting of two needle valves.  These things
don't work worth a hoot for such low flow as we have in co2 systems.  I
finally gave up and went to the Nupro needle valves and everything works
great.  I would suggest if you have problems with regular air line
valves (I tried 3 different brands) then bite the bullet and get the
Nupro or an equivalent.

re co2 bell jar.  I have the co2 system in the basement and have been
feeding co2 into a tank upstairs with a 2l pop bottle bottom half turned
upside down as a bell jar.  In a 40 tall it was eating co2 at the rate of
a bubble a second and the pH was close to neutral instead of the previous
8+.  After several weeks I noticed the jar was burping a little extra
gas out the bottom so I cut back on the co2 flow.  Finally shut the co2
off and the bubble in the bell jar didn't seem to want to disolve.  pH
had moved closer to 8.  So I burped the bell jar and emptied it
completely and started filling with co2 again.  As originally, the co2 is
getting eaten at a rate of one to two bubbles a second.  (Note the source
of co2 is not diy but is from a tank).  I still like the bell jar but
will monitor it in the furture by doing an occasional pH check.

--Earle Hamilton from northern Michigan where it finally got to 90.