[APD] Re: Water Changes for a non-CO2 Tank

Tom said, in part:

"Part of the point of non CO2 tanks is not using test kits."

I had a very successful non-CO2 tank for about 6 months.  Both stem and
rooted plants grew very well in it and in required minimal care, except for
some pruning of the stem plants.

The I noticed that the stem plants seemed to be in decline.  Closer
inspection also showed a huge mass of  filamentous algae in the middle and
rear of the tank.

I pulled out my trusty, inexpensive test kits and found that the nitrates
and phosphates were both near zero.  I (choke) started dosing and removing
the algae manually. Now it is just about gone and the plant growth is
gradually improving.

Under Ms. Walstad's theory, the fish are supposed to convert their food to
plant nutrients.  Apparently I didn't have enough fish or I didn't feed them
enough.   Now there are more fish and they are being fed more, and I don't
have to dose as much, although I still do a little, as required.

Bill