RE: [APD] LED lighting with Luxeons (preliminary results)

You are not concerned with the relative energy efficiency?
Are yo taking it as a given that the highlight LEDs are
substantially less efficient than arc-type fluorescent
lamps?

Scott H.
--- Gomer Gomer <iegomer at hotmail_com> wrote:
> They do get quite hot.  That is why I have that heatsink.
>  Given that I can
> hold the heatsink comfortably after the lights have been
> on for quite some
> time, it would seem to reach 40-50°C.  I can't even touch
> the PC bulbs
> without it burning (or atleast feel really really hot).
> Considering the
> heatsink surface, I dont think these luxeons generate too
> much more heat (it
> that) then my PCs  I can try to monitor the temps to see
> the effect, but
> that isn;t top priority (to compare heat that detailed).
>
> My LEDs are as far from the water as the PCs are (<2" for
> the nano and 3"
> for the larger tanks)
>

> >Being a computer modder, I'm familiar with Luxeon LEDs.
> >
> >These LEDs produce an insane amount of heat.  So much so
> that it is
> >recommended to have them paired up with a heatsink.
> >
> >I would be concerned that a cluster of these LEDs would
> do the same thing
> >as
> >incandescent lighting; heat up the tank.
> >
> >I'd be interesting in seeing how far from the water's
> surface the LEDs are,
> >and what the monitored temps are the test tank are.

=====
Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org