All plant tank

This leads me to ponder on the subject "All Plant Tank". Is that really
possible? Well, surely an algea tank could be run easily enough, but have
anoyne ever tried to run an "APT" without any animals at all in it? Can such
a tank be kept algea free?

Admittedly it's a lower light tank (2 wpg), but I have a 7-gallon bow front tank that was on my desk at work. You can see what it looked like there in the 2002 APD contest. When I left that job last January, I brought it home. For the move I put the White Clouds that had been in the tank in an existing larger tank, and it took me a while to get around to resetting up the 7 gallon, so the fish never made it back there. The little tank got quite messy, with lots of the plants starting to die before I got around to fixing it up again. It's now been on my kitchen counter with no fish for over 6 months, and it does fine that way. There are a few snails. I haven't added any fertilizers or food for the snails, but they seem to be doing okay. This particular tank, which is a Walstad soil substrate type, has been gloriously algae free from the start - it's about 2 years old now. Interestingly, where it sits now it gets some morning sun, and the dwarf sag that never got more than an inch high under the tank lights in the office is now a lighter green and 2 to 3 inches high.

Ellen O'Connell Parker, CO mailto:oconnel4 at ix_netcom.com