RE: Lighting advice

> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:59:16 -0400
> From: "Wayne Jones" <waj at mnsi_net>
>
> My best guess is that the 4 55s will produce about 80% more
> light than you currently have.

Ouch. Sounds like having two timers is going to be the hot setup. Have one
pair on for the whole photo period, the second pair on a few hours around
high noon.

> I would think you would be happier with 4 40 watt kits. This
> should still be 35% more light than you currently have.

The kits for 36, 40 and 55 have the same hardware and don't include the
bulbs. We could buy 2 55w and 2 40w bulbs. Or buy all 55w then replace one
pair with 40w if it's "too bright" and save the replaced 55w as a spare.

> Just to confuse you, you might think about using 5' T8 lamps on your 5'
> tank. They do make such things and probably they are not readily available
> in your area but still 5' lamps on a 5' tank has a ring to it.

I wonder how long a "5' bulb" plus encaps would be? 5'1"? The hood already
exists. Might this be a half inch too long? We have no problem with 4' bulbs
in a 5' tank (plenty of room for endcaps!) and the CF kits can be nicely
centered. Nah, "never buy weird size bulbs". Hard to find and cost more than
regular.

> I have never noticed a problem with my setups but things of that nature do
> occur with electronic ballasts. The high frequency switching can cause
some
> really odd things to happen like mimicking your T.V. remote and turning
the
> T.V. off.

You were supposed to say "Nope, no problems!" :-)

George Booth in Ft.Collins, CO  (booth at frii_com)
The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/