Re: Tropica question

At 03:48 PM 9/16/00 -0400, Steve Meister asked:
>Why WON'T Tropica ship their plants to the U.S. bare root....??

I think I can answer this as well as anyone outside Tropica because I have
thought about it a lot and talked with lots of folks about it (including my
local USDA office and many officials in Washington).  I believe Tropica
holds that their plants are a packaged product, including the plant itself,
the potting, the ids, the tags, the pot itself, the catalog, the whole
works.   To tear it apart and sell just the plant destroys a lot of the
value they have worked so hard to provide.  And it reduces the value to the
end user as well, so that he or she will pay less for the product.   Which
is not what they want to have happen.  So they are continuing to work to
try to get their plants into the US.

--
NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam