exciting new discoveries

I was just looking at my tank observing it and on one end something caught
my eye.. on closer examination It was a snail !!!  This is very weird
because I've only ever had 2 snails in my tank and both died.. I haven't put
new plants in for months so unless they came with the riccia then its a
mystery to me.. it will be interesting to see what sort of snails they are
(Ive spotted three of them so far only a few millimeters in diameter).  Also
in the back corner of my tank where the outlet goes back into the tank and
my CO2 gets injected into a reactor just above the water on the glass and
clambering on the pipe are these small little crustacean like insects.  I
beleive they are freshwater amphipods ! Ther are about 5mm in lenght and
theres quite a few of them and when I put my tweezers in they were all
jumping around (saltwater amphipods I have experienced do this).  I think
they like the riccia.. wow this is all exciting anyone else had anything
like this in their tank before ?

Cheers
Jon Hammond