Laceplants

Richard,

I guess you're saying they feed through the leaves, not so much through the
substrate via the roots. . . so fertilization via the water column, right? (I
did notice an appreciable reduction of nitrates in that tank.) I have read
that a nutrient-rich substrate can rot bulbs . . .

Are you saying the rot was caused by all nutrients in the corm being used by
the plant, leading to eventual slow demise?

What is your *holding tank* like?  Water, parameters, lighting? I'd like to
try to save what's left of the bulb, and currrently it's sitting on top of
the gravel in the same tank it was growing in.

Thanks,

Sylvia

<< Pretty common experience. First, any of the exotic Aponogetons
 (ie, not crispus and it's kind) get large, huge, bordering
 on massive. Two feet is not uncommon for laceplants. Other
 get twice that big. (George? URL handy ?).

 The plant grows from a corm. When you plant one of
 there naked "bulbs" it uses food stored in this corm
 as enerygy to grow. Once it's got a half dozen leaves
 out it started building the corm back up - it should
 get bigger, not smaller, as it grows. If it doesn't
 get enough food, it keeps using the reserves in the
 corm.

 Aponogetons are *increadably* heavy feeders.

 Don't feel bad. I've killed dozens of them
 this way, too. Whatever your fertilization
 schedule was it wasn't enough. Double it.

 I ripped one out last week thinking it needed
 a rest, tore the few remaining leaves off
 and tossed it in a holding tank till I could
 get around ot it. It's not got 4 small plants
 on it that I think I'll try to separate. The
 bulb is still big and healthy.