Re: Mutations?

>Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:59:14 PDT
>From: "Emery Ku" <em_ku at hotmail_com>

>I haven't written in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading
>:)  Anyway, I had a question about my Rotala indica.  It's a nice plant
>really, but that's not really the point.  In my tank, there are 2-leafed
and
>3-leafed varieties.  I've also seen 4-leafed varieties.  I know they're the
>same plant though, because some plants that have changed over to 3 still
>have 2 below on the same stalk.  It seems that if I cut the top section
off,
>sometimes 2 stalks come out with 2 leaves.  My dad, who is a plant
>biologist, thinks that it's an environmental adaptation.  I was wondering
if
>anyone knew for sure.

I think you need a better description... Almost any stem plant (aquatic or
terrestrial), when cut off, will start to grow two branches, each with the
characteristics of the original. ie. cut off a plant that has two leaves at
each node and you will get two stems with two leaves at each node. Same with
apple trees and spruce trees.

If your father is seeing something that he hasn't seen before, then you must
be describing it poorly.

a picture perhaps?

Shannon