Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1274

> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:00:46 -0400
> From: krandall at world_std.com
> Subject: Nitrifying Bacteria
>
> >This weekend I was informed that there was some recent info that stated
> >that Nitrosomonas werneri and Nitrobacter weinogradskyi are NOT
> >the bacteria used in the nitrogen cycle.  Does anyone care to elaborate on
> >this info?
> Karen wrote <snip>
> Tim pretty conclusively proved that Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter
> were NOT found in any substantial numbers in aquariums, either fresh or
> marine. Now what the TRUE name of the pesky little critters that _do_
> inhabit our tanks are is still open.

<snip>
Actually his research showed that Nitrosomonas bacteria were not found in
freshwater aquaria only.  He did find Nitrosomonas europaea (ammonia to nitrite)
in fairly large populations in marine tanks, up to 20% of the total eubacterial
rRNA (Hovanec and DeLong 1996).  You are correct that he was unable to detect any
Nitrobacters (nitrite to nitrate) from freshwater or marine environments (Hovanec
and DeLong 1996; Hovanec et al.,1998).  His 1998 paper pretty much erases all
doubt that the bacteria responsible for the oxidation of nitrite to nitrate in f/w
aquaria are Nitrospira, or close relatives.