Re: Mutations?

Emery Ku wrote:

> >I haven't written in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading
> >:)  Anyway, I had a question about my Rotala indica.  It's a nice plant
> >really, but that's not really the point.  In my tank, there are 2-leafed
> and
> >3-leafed varieties.  I've also seen 4-leafed varieties.

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Shannon Wheeler replied:

> I think you need a better description... Almost any stem plant (aquatic or
> terrestrial), when cut off, will start to grow two branches, each with the
> characteristics of the original. ie. cut off a plant that has two leaves at
> each node and you will get two stems with two leaves at each node. Same with
> apple trees and spruce trees.

Actually, I salute Emery's skill as an observer.  After reading his letter
I went and looked at my rotala indica and it does in fact have stems with
pairs of opposed leaves, 3-leaf whorls and 4-leaf whorls, with variations
between branches on the same plant.  One stem even switched from 3-leaf
whorls at the base to opposed pairs near the growing end.  I'd never
noticed that before.

Looking rather closely, I was unable to find a pattern to the occurance of
the different forms.  Does anyone else see one?

Likewise, I have no idea why that would happen.  It wouldn't be a
mutation, so some kind of environmental adaptation must be the thing.

Roger Miller