Re:Why CO2 doesn't affect Alkalinity, only pH/Fluvals (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:55:53 -0800 (PST)
From: A. Inniss <andrewi at u_washington.edu>
To: Aquatic Plants Digest <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
Subject: Re:Why CO2 doesn't affect Alkalinity, only pH/Fluvals

	Thank you Roger.  As it happens, I found one of the two posts dr.
dave made on this topic:

"alkalinity is caused by cations in solution not paired with an anion (Cl-
PO43) If you change the rtion of anions to cations in solution (eg adding
an acid) you will reduce the alkalinity.  Addin an uncharged molecule such
as CO2 does not affect alkalinity, just pH"

	That's a fairly exact quote.  But the second explanation, which I
_still_ can't find (grrr...) and  which I found more succinct and easier
to follow, went something like this:

	Interestingly, CO2 doesn't affect alkalinity, just pH because
...followed by ~two-sentence explanation of Hydrogen concentration being
affected.

	I even tried a search with the word "interestingly"... as you
might imagine, that didn't help.  Ah well, I guess now I'll have to
actually read through explanation and think about it long enough to
_truly_ understand it... and after a hard day at the office, too ;-)

Regarding Fluvals:  Love mine when they're running, hate them when I have
to service them, but personally I don't mind paying less for them than for
an Eheim <g>, and mine have been running problem-free for about 5 years.
BTW, Fluval _has_ changed their canisters, and the new models have been
displayed at Trade shows.  According to a mechanically inclined friend of
mine who attends such gala events ;-), they appear to be quite an
improvement, though he wants to try one in a wet run before giving them a
stamp of approval.  For those who don't mind paying extra for Eheims, hey,
I understand why you're willing to pay more, given the testimonials form
personal friends.  Oh, has anyone tried the "new" internal filters Eheim
put out a while back?  Are these alos on sale, James?  I might order one
for my 55.

Andrew

~^~
 ~