Lighting questions

>Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:08:31 -0400
>From: "Guangyan Wang" <lesenw-2 at idt_net>
>Subject: Lighting and algea problems
>
>Hello,
>    I have a planted aqurium for four month. For the past four month, thee
>algea growth are minimal. I use 2 15w flouresant, and 2 13w compacr
>flouresant over my 20 gallan high tank. In the past week, a new king algea
>appeared. It is thin, long threads with dark gray green color. the lenth of
>the threads are 2-3 inches. It grow on leaves of my plants. Also, I'm
>setting up a new light fixture by using GE's Chroma 50. Could anyone tell
>the color of the Bulob. Is it like real sunlight? Should I use 3 or 4 bulbs?
>Is 4 bulb to much light?

No. The cheap 4 foot fixtures contain a tar, iron and wire ballast and
these must be matched to the lamp length. For about $40.00 (see
http://www.grainger.com ) you can get an electronic ballast for T-8
flourescent tubes which will drive any lenght T-8 bulb up to four feet. The
electronic ballast will produce more light per watt of input power, improve
your lamp life, and give you brighter teeth and fresher breath ;-).

Home Depot sells the sockets. Get a few of these and screw them into your
wood hood.

See the the FAQ on lighting at actwin.com. All the issuses have been
covered ad nausem.

Paul

Paul Nicholson               Electronic Imaging Systems, Inc.
TEL 805 532 1068             5148 Commerce Avenue, Unit F
FAX 805 532 1065             Moorpark, CA 93021 U.S.A.
paul at eisusa_com		     http://www.eisusa.com