Re: [APD] sand substrate

The underlayment is not critical. And with lots of plants with roots, the sand should not compact too much. If you put in coarser material, the finer material will tend to settle down through the gaps whenever distrubed, leaving the larger stuff on top, eventually.

* * * * * * * * * * * The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies (NEC) celebrates its 50th year of service at its 31st annual convention, April 7-9, 2006 -- including *An Evening with Aquarium Legends*. Read the speaker list, then download the registration form, and get set to join the fun at what promises to be the year's biggest tropical fish convention. http://northeastcouncil.org/html/ And while you're there, attend the AGA's annual meeting Friday afternoon (2-4pm). This year's speaker is Claus Christensen, Tropica's Managing Director.

----- Original Message ----
From: Eli Moss <mossy173 at gmail_com>
To: aquatic plants digest <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 6:20:46 PM
Subject: [APD] sand substrate

I probably won't act on this information as I'm loathe to wreck my existing
setup, but just for the sake of knowledge and curiosity: were I to set up a
sand substrate for my planted aquarium, would I absolutely need to have a
layer of fluorite or some such coarser-grain substrate underneath the sand
for roots, or can plants thrive in sand alone?  I've always liked the look
of sand, and I imagine it would also simplify planting and maintenance.
It's also cheap at the going, as well, something like two bucks and change
for fifty pounds of the stuff.

Eli Moss