[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [APD] Vox nutria, was (excess K+)

Was that supposed to be K was down to 120ppm?

I think that K uptake by plants might be higher than we think.  I've been
dosing it regularly through KNO3 and/or K2SO4 so that at water change I'm
adding 20mg/l.  And then mid-week adding 4-5mg/l.

I've always wondered what the actual levels and uptake was so I finally
broke down and bought a LaMotte K test kit (ok, so I'm a control freak!
:-)).  I received it mid-week and I did the first test 3 days after water
change and dosing (and before my usual mid-week dosing).  The result:
8-10mg/l of K. Which logically means that I was at 0 when I did my water

I dosed 10mg/l of K at that point.  2 days later I measured 14-15mg/l of K
in the tank. So an uptake of 4-5mg/l in two days.

Given that K is the nutrient that the majority of us never measure (we just
dose to a certain level), could it be that more problems than we realize are
due to a deficiency in K? and this causes an imbalance or uptake problem of
other nutrients?


-----Original Message-----
From: Richard J. Sexton [mailto:richard at aquaria_net] 
Sent: 09 December 2004 23:04
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: [APD] Vox nutria, was (excess K+)

At 01:11 PM 12/9/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>> The reason I ask, is that I'm pretty sure I'm way overdosed on K+ 
>> and I'm going to stop dosing for a while.
>How are you "sure"?
>I'd like to know what levels of K+ consitutes an overdose or negative
>effects on plants that is not caused by something else.
>Do tell.
>Erik and myself have done K+ levels with supposedly sensitive plants at
>50-60ppm for myself, he went to 100ppm K+.
>I've had high K+ for a decade now and cannot attribute a single issue to
>high K+.

I did a booboo two weeks ago and put 200ppm (measured) in my 70 gal tank[1].
same day I scraped all the green spot algae (not much really) off one half
of the tank.

Two weeks and a few water changed later, the nitrates are down to 120ppm.
The ammano shrimp and crypts in the tank never acted wierd even for 
a second, and no green spot algae has grown. No any kind of alage
has grown. I've had to add iron 3 times so far and it's still low
and our water has near toxic amounts of the stuff.

Whenever I hear "problem caused by overdosing a nutrient" I think
"uh-huh, test for ammonia".

[1] low light, 3 hrs sunchine (on sunny days, winter - bah)
no co2. 


 /"\                         / http://lists.aquaria.net
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / Killies, Crypts, Aponogetons
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com