Re: Lighting for 150

Bob Olesen> Subject:

> I've decided to build a hood and go ahead with power compact lighting
> for my
> 150 gal tank that is 72 inches long, 24 high and 18.75 wide.  I'll be
>
> injecting pressurized CO2 from a tank.
>
> Are six (6) 96watt fixtures from A&H with reflectors about right for
> this
> size setup?
>
> I'd just like people's opinions, especially if you've had experience
> with the
> 96watt fixtures from A&H before. I know I could use four and add more
> later,
> but I'd rather just do it all right from the start.
>
> Any opinions are appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Bob Olesen

I have the same tank with 4 96watt lamps from AH Supply plus 2 55watt
lamps. I chose the 4x96 plus 2x55 rather than 6x96 because I thought
494 watts would make the tank tepermental enough without pushing
farther.  Also, the 55s give a "warmer" (i.e., redder) color than the
96s that are most often available.  But now AH Supply carries a wider
variety of color temps in 96 watt lamps.

During the summer, with all six lamps on, the tank temperature climbs
too high -- over 83 degrees F when the ambient temp is over 75 degrees
F.  This of course is a result of a number of factors, not just the
lights.  During those months, I have turned off the 55watt lamps and
that reduction in heat is enough to keep tank temps down to about 80-81
degrees F.  However, during those "summer" months, my substrate heater
cables do not cycle.

Turning the 55s back on in late fall (or whenever I can switch over
from house AC to house heating and the ambient temp shifts from 78 to
68 degreees F) sparks an algae bloom which probably a combination of
added light plus the water currents in the substrate do to the heater
cables running again.  In fact, with the delayed winter temps this
year, I'm having that algae bloom right now in the 150, alas, while my
other tanks are all in prime condition.

Your results will depend on your particular set up.  My point is just
to suggest that you consider how you are going to deal with the heat
when as part of your decision on how much light to use.  ---- remember
that most of the energy going into the lamps is converted to heat that
must be removed from, or kept away from, your tank.  Fans are one
method, but not a silent one.

Regards,
Scott H.