tank pressure reading

I have been trying to find a leak in my co2 system. I bought a second
regulator. My first 2.5 pound tank would last about a year. Then it went down
to 6 months and now it's gone in a week and yesterday it went in one day.
Leak checks with soap show nothing leaking. The filler rechecked the bottle,
OK. By the time I got home the 2.5 pound bottle registered 400 pounds when I
installed the regulator. I rechecked for leaks, found none. This morning it
was empty. (gone in 12 hours)
My old regulator would register 2,000 pounds with a fresh fill. The new one
registered 700 and yesterday the refill registered 400. What should a filled
tank register?
Thanks,
Bruce