Re: tank pressure reading

Bruce,
   Sorry to hear of your leak.  I had a leak between my regulator and
needle valve which I could never get to bubble despite multiple appli-
cations of soapy water/watery soap, but I could hear.  An old stetho-
scope helped me be sure which mechanical coupling was the culprit.  To
get it to go away, I had to tighten the joint a lot, nearly as much as
my strength would allow with a small wrench.
   The archives have other references to this, but the few times I've
gotten the tank filled, the pressure started at about 400 psi because
of the cold temperature, then rose to somewhat above 800 after it got
warmed up at home, and never ever registered over 900.  I gather the
temperature is made to rapidly decrease by rapidly releasing residual
gas prior to filling, and that this might be desirable to allow the
bottle to be filled more completely.
Alex
Rockville, Md