Re: Minnesota Aponogeton ulvaceous (was aponogeton ulvaceous)

The floss idea was sketchy, but I was thinking along the lines of a *cage* of
sorts. I was even thinking about a modified worm cone feeder (couldn't think
of anything else). With a large enough base, but narrowing opening, wouldn't
the leaves naturally grow through towards the light?

If the growth is slowing down, it could be going dormant. My plant's been
growing great guns for a while now, and sent up flower stalks several times,
but now that the leaves seem to be growing upright, it's slowing down.

Maybe it's a nutrient deficiency? If not carbon, maybe something else. Or
maybe that's the growth pattern of the Minnesota A. ulvaceous, or MAU.

;-)

Mike wrote:

>  To answer Sylvia's question, yes I have been injecting CO2 from the start.

> All the details are in the original message.  This is a tank I set up in an
> assisted living home and I only see it about every 2 weeks.  I will be
there
> tomorrow so I will let you know of any changes.
>
>  Due to the original post not showing up, here are the latest changes.  The
> plants are still producing new leaves and flowers but the leaves are still
> mostly horizontal.  The new leaves are at least half the size (length and
> width) of the original growth now too.  Three weeks ago I placed about a
half
> Jobes fern and palm stick under each plant.  It is odd to me that the leaf
> size has changed (smaller) so drastically, with conditions good and plenty
of
> nutrients.  Unless someone has some advice, I may just pull them up and try
> nice sword.
>
>  Sylvia, the *floss* method is interesting, but new leaves growing in may
get
> blocked by the floss bundled stems, or may grow outside the bundle, which
> puts you right back where you started.  Since mine are growing behind some
> large boulders I suppose I could place a few smaller stones around each
plant
> to help support them, but I still think there is a better *natural*
solution
> out there.  Or maybe not under my conditions.  This is where I am looking
for
> help.

Derek, my 55 gallon tank had 80 watts overhead. I guess this definitely
qualifies as low light.  I had the same growth pattern, with the reddish
tones also. CO2 addition seems to have helped, but growth is slowing down.
(Darn, now it's probably going dormant.)