Re: Surface Film

>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:22:43 EDT
>From: RWmMartin at aol_com
>Subject: Surface Film
>
>I have a 125gal planted tank established for over 6 years. I have a surface
>film that looks like a thin layer of wax paper floating. When I do a water
>change and do pruning It disappears. Then the film starts back within 10
>hours and builds. It does not seem to affect the fish. If I try to scoop it
>up with a fine mesh net, some is collected and the rest breaks up in the
>turbulence, looking like skin peelings. It has no odor and washes out of the
>net easily. I use a CO2, yeast system, but have turned it off for over a week
>now.
>Any suggestions?

Hi there
	I built a fiddleless surface skimmer for just this reason if
you go to http://www.vaxxine.com/martinhouse you will see how I made
it. I have an update on this project. I recently moved and had to
break down all of my tanks. I sold a lot of the stuff in my reef tank
and made my reef tank a 60 gallon set up. Now the skimmer acts as a
surface skimmer for my reef tank. The 125 gallon old reef tank is now
my freshwater plant tank. Everything is going great and with a little
more patience things will be back to normal again.

Wayne Martin