Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #378

on 7/1/00 7:48 AM, Aquatic Plants Digest at Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
wrote:

> Well, IMHO, Power Compacts, Metal Halides, and VHO are certainly the easiest
> way to reach a desired light level, and depending on the size of the tank
> and whats available to you, it may be the only way.

True enough. But the original statement was saying it was the _ONLY_ way to
a beautiful tank. That is not true. Well not true for the vast majority of
aquatic setups. Very deep, or very large (as in the case of public
aquariums) are best served by the other types of light. For most of us on
this list, a Chroma 50 will be more than adequate.

I'd love to have a couple metal halide pendants over the 75G to allow plants
to grow in emersed form. But they are pricey and not in my immediate future.
Three Chroma 50's and a tiny bit of morning sunlight is how that tank is
lit. Light hungry plants do well under these conditions.

Of course they'd do much better if I'd remember to make that homemade CO2
concoction <g>

Susan