RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #378

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:58:35 -1000
From: "Barry" <barry_mitchell at hotmail_com>
Subject: Re: Peltier Tank cooling

>I also agree that cooling thru the  (glass) might would be a bit
>inefficient, but then every aquarium heater I've ever seen transfers heat
>thru a glass tube.  I would think that the glass itself would act as a sort
>of heat sink.  It would be slow to cool when the device was turned on and
>slow to heat back up when the device was turned off.

>I believe if I was trying such a system today, I would get some Melcor CP
>series thermoelectric modules about 2" square and glue them in a row along
>the top back of the tank, leaving 2" clear on either side.  As the water
>cooled along the top it would sink and create a slight current, preventing
>cool spots.  I would try glueing them to the glass with a liquid metal type
>glue, something that is a good conductor.  I would use heat sinks on the
hot
>side of the modules, but I wouldn't use stacked modules.  I wouldn't want
>create spots of intense cold in a sheet of glass.

If you are using an extenal canister filter you may try this. Cut the ouput
hose of the filter and fit as pice of alumminium pipe of the same diameter
(good heat conductor but I donīt know if it can have toxic effects on the
water quality). Iron a flat pice of aluminium the same size of the module to
the aluminium pipe. Attach the module to this pice of aluminium. This will
ensure a good heat transfer between water and the cooling module.

Having a cold spot on the glass will place termal stress on it and lower its
resistense.

I haven try this, neither have experience with this kind of modules. Just my
two cents.

Adrian