Re: bacteria populations

In a message dated 04/21/2000 3:52:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Whether you have a filter or not, the bacteria are all over your tank, in
 whatever populations the nutrients will sustain.  I think it's absurd to
 think that single-celled organisms have a complex enough metabolism to do
 much adjusting for low nutrient levels.  I tend to think that theirs is a
 digital existance.  They are living, or dying.  >>

I agree!! Bacteria have exponential growth that is determined by the amount
nutrients available to continue growth and reproduction. A population will
level off and maintain a balance proportional to nutrient level. If foods
increases so will the population.  What I find interesting is that we all
agree that higher plants will eventually out-compete algae for nutrients,
provided there isn't an excess of nutrients. Does this not work for plants
vs. microbes?
I am not saying that plants can wipe out a bacterial colony in our aquaria,
but isn't it reasonable to suspect that the plants are more efficient at
competition for food?

Lynn
In overcast Pittsburgh