Re: NFC: Fw: Yes, please help me.

This brings up an interesting question.  For my whole life, I assumed that
deep water in lakes was a cool refuge for fish in the summer.  However,
last semester, when I took limnology, I was taught that the deep wter in
lakes (below the thermocline where it is cool) has virtually no oxygen.
Lab testing backed this up.  So, according to this, a shallow lake would
not be at a disadvantage to a deep lake in the summer.  In fact, when
lakes turn over in spring and fall, deep lakes often experience fish kills
due to the mixing of the oxygen-poor deep water with the rest of the lake.
Now, I am far from an expert on this, so I will gladly accept
comments/questions/criticizms.  What does everybody think?
FWIW,
David

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999 Phylesis at aol_com wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>                 First off you should try to determine where the problem with
> the lake is coming from. The water levels dropping is probably normal in
> responce to the drought conditions Southern Cal. commonly goes through and
> the fish kills are the result of severe oxygen depletion due in great part to
> the high temps and lack of deep water. You mentioned gambusia, are they the
> only small none-game fish there? And are there no other small critters such
> as crayfish or other forage foods for the larger fish?  Your initial
> accessment that the lake is in desperate need of bio-diversity has foundation
> if the answers to these questions is NO.  However, before you take the
> initiative, best do the legwork to find what you can legally do, California
> is one of the most strictly regulated states where their wetland habitats are
> concerned.  Goodluck and keep us posted.
>
> Daryl Roche
> Exotic Removal Program
> Administrator, NFC

Follow-Ups: References: