Re: NFC: Fw: Yes, please help me.

Dazzle, at what depth does the water become anoxic?

> This brings up an interesting question.  For my whole life, I assumed that
> deep water in lakes was a cool refuge for fish in the summer.  However,
> last semester, when I took limnology, I was taught that the deep wter in
> lakes (below the thermocline where it is cool) has virtually no oxygen.
> Lab testing backed this up.  So, according to this, a shallow lake would
> not be at a disadvantage to a deep lake in the summer.  In fact, when
> lakes turn over in spring and fall, deep lakes often experience fish kills
> due to the mixing of the oxygen-poor deep water with the rest of the lake.
> Now, I am far from an expert on this, so I will gladly accept
> comments/questions/criticizms.  What does everybody think?
FWIW, David

Prost,

Martin

Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):  http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/

"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade

"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes

Follow-Ups: References: