Re: NFC: gender identity crisis

>While you are at it Mark can you give me some pointers on sexing sunfish
>other than color intensity, particularly where longears are concerned?
> Klaus

Uhhh...behavior, territoriality.  Generally, females do not stake out a
spawning site.  Males do this and females only enter during spawning.
Subdominant males may behave as females.  Belly girth may help, but only
when the fish are in spawning condition and not full of food.  In many
species, the adult male will have a larger head and may have a slight hump,
whereas the females will have a more sloping head profile.  I'm still
trying to figure out how to sex my dollar sunnies.  Guess I'll just have to
spawn them to see who is who.  Kind of like oscars.  Unfortunately, color
can vary widely from fish to fish across sexes and populations.  What
species are you working on?

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net