Re: NFC: freshwater crayfish, shrimp and prawn ?

>Hey all,
>                                I was wondering if anyone out there might
>be able to recomend a good
>identifier ( book) for freshwater shrimp, crayfish and prawn specifically
>florida or north american species. I ve seached on the net, but the info
>available is lacking.  TIA
>Daryl

Try _Fresh-Water_Invertebrates_of_the_United States_ by Robert W. Pennak.
It's expensive.  You might want to get it at the library.  I think those
monster Florida prawns are exotic.  My brother mentioned seeing something
like that in Haiti.  For natives check out Macrobranchium and Palaemonetes
species.  The tiny grass shrimp, common in Florida is a Palaemonetes.
Macrobranchium are bigger.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net