Re: Flexipenis vittatus

The info I sent to you (copies of the info from Wischnath's Atlas of
Livebearers of the World) indicates that these are easy fish to keep and
propagate, although not commonly available. You will need to contact
Herb Harris (top_side at geocities_com) about whether these would be
eligible for the Breeder's Program. If so, you can register them for the
BP from the NFC website: click on the Programs area. The NFC Breeder's
Program, unlike most aquarium club programs, awards points for
continuous production, not just for one or two bags of fry, so persons
that can crank out volumes of offspring can generate as many, if not
more, points than the person who breeds a large number of fish species
but has low fry survival.  It also avoids the problem of persons who
acquire and breed fish just for the points, using excess fry as feeder
fish rather than making them available to other hobbyists.

I suspect they would be eligible for the BP as they are an unusual wild
type livebearer, closely related to the Gambusia family, which includes
a number of species  native to the US, Mexico and Central America.  As
you may know, many of the fishes of the southwestern US, Mexico and
Central America are becoming increasingly rare or extirpated from the
wild due to pollution, watershed development, water withdrawal and other
factors, so it is increasingly critical that the fish from these areas
become part of breeding and species maintenance programs in one or more
organizations.

Glad you decided to join the NFC - a copy of the NFC newsletter, which
includes an application form, is enclosed in the letter with your F.
vittatus info. Don't forget to enclose $2 s/h for a complementary
Tomelleri fine art print ($25 retail value) and indicate your choices on
the application form, along with your membership fees.  Where else can
you spend only ten bucks and join a national conservation organization
and get a signed and numbered  fine art print worth $25 thrown in for
only a $2 s/h fee?  Best $12 you will spend this year!