Re: Tank repair

Does this tank leak at the corner where the frame is broken?  Have you
filled it with water since the frame broke?  I can assure you that an
all-glass tank that is assembled with silicone is held together by nothing
more than the silicone itself.  Otherwise, those mitered corner-type frames
would pull right apart. No glue would be strong enough to hold them
together.  I have a 220 gal glass tank that has the four-piece mitered trim
at top and bottom.  There's no way in the world that this tank is held
together by that 2" joint at the top corner.

Now you're not talking about a center brace, are you.  That would be a
different story.  There was a thread a while back on this.  Was that your
friend's tank we were talking about then?

Sounds like maybe the silicone corner joint has failed and that is what has
caused the frame joint to come apart.  In this case, I do not recomend
filling the tank.  Just push outward on the glass where it joins and see if
you can separate it.  If so, you need to remove the old silicone and reseal
it.  This could be a big job if all the silicone is old and degraded.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use "the Net" and he won't bother you for weeks.