spotted bullheads

I have two fish which I think may be spotted bullheads, they have the common
bullhead shape dark on top irregular shaped spots on sides all the barbels are
black.  I think I have male and female, I have had them for about a year now.
The one I think is female is about 8" long the male about 6."  Can anyone
confirm my identification?  How about breeding, husbandry instructions?  They
were sold to me in a pet shop as rare south American bullheads, it seems
unlikely this is true.  How large can I expect them to get if they are spotted
bullheads.  Thanks....

Michael