"David A. Youngker" <nestor10 at mindspring_com>: Native Sunfishes

Help again .....

From: "David A. Youngker" <nestor10 at mindspring_com>
To: "NANFAMAN" <robertrice at juno_com>
Subject: Native Sunfishes
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 15:29:35 -0400

Robert -

I have been reading your recent articles posted to the news groups as
well
as a couple of the recent ones in mags such as AFM. They have been, I
must
admit, fairly instrumental in piquing my interest in some of our native
fish. The so-called miniature sunfish are among those that arouse my
curiosity, particularly given the "cichlid" nature of their habits.

To the point, I currently live in the Sarasota, Florida area, but will
shortly be returning to Chattanooga, Tennessee. While I will have time
later
to track down some of the fish mentioned in your (and other) articles, it
strikes me that this may be my last opportunity to collect some excellent
specimens from their native habitat. Along with that collection
capability
would go the chance to make some first-hand observations of their
environmental conditions. I don't feel that I should let this chance pass
me
by, but time is running short.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you would point me to some appropriate
reference materials or, barring that, some other guides to the local
varieties. I don't know if you have any of your own material in
transmittable form, but if you should it would find some use also.

I'm no stranger to aquaria. Like yourself, I have been heavily involved
in
South American cichlids and tetras, and in the last couple of years some
of
the smaller Tanganyikans. I'm not fond of the large, violent types of
fish
most commonly associated with the Rift Lakes (give me an Apisto any day),
and thus the interest in the miniatures to begin with. Some of the
others,
like darters or annuals, can come with time, but as I said I currently
have
an opportunity I don't readily wish to pass.

And thanks for the articles - it really *is* a shame that we often ignore
what's under our very noses...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]