Re: blueheads - Short Course on Interstate Fish Shipping

A Short Course On Interstate Shipment of Fish

1. Fishes which are on the FEDERAL threatened/endangered species list
cannot be kept without a permit nor can they be moved across state lines
without filing import/export documentation with the USFWS.

2. STATE listed endangered/threatened species cannot be kept in that
state without a permit, nor can they be exported from that state without
a permit to do so. Species listed in one state as threatened/endangered
may be imported from another state where they are not a listed species,
subject to state-level import/export regulations.  If you should import
a non-listed species into a state where they ARE listed, BE SURE TO KEEP
COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTATION TO KEEP OUT OF VERY HOT WATER.  Advise
keeping the local DNR apprised of the fact that you have these fish and
provide documentation of their out-of-state origin.

3. Some state have VERY stringent import/export requirements, such as
North Carolina, Arizona, etc., where any importation or exportation of
fish requires a permit.  For transactions involving two states such as
these, the parties involved in an exchange of fish would each need two
permits from each state. John Smith would need a permit to export his
fish from Arizona to NC and a permit to import Sam Jones' fish from
North Carolina into AZ.  Sam Jones would need an import permit to
receive John Smith's fish from AZ and an export permit to send NC fish
to John.

4. The majority of states seem to require permits only to release fish
into waters of the state and don't seem to regulate importation for
aquarium use only, viewing such a practice as functionally equivalent to
tropical fish - both types are considered non-native and for aquarium
use only. HOWEVER, many states are now requiring a propagation permit to
breed fish for sale/distribution, etc.  Generally, the best approach is
to sit down with the local DNR folks and discuss what you would like to
do and find out what, if any, permits may be required and obtain them in
advance of importing the fish.  Generally, I have found state and
Federal officials to be quite helpful and facilitative with someone that
talks with them up front and intends to comply with their regulations.

5. If anyone has a local species that they think would be good to have
in a captive breeding program, let me know as I am setting one up at
present for the NFC Breeder's Program.  I can send you a pre-printed UPS
label which bills shipping to my UPS account so all you have to do get
the fish ready to ship - shipping charges are billed to me.  If your
local UPS office won't accept shipments of live fish (most often, they
refuse to accept fish if they have to insure them - if the shipper
waives insurance issues, it is often OK), we can make other
arrangements, such as reimbursement for US Postal Service shipping
costs, return of VT fish in trade, etc.

6. I am sure that the NFC can ensure that persons whom contribute fish
to the NFC Breeder's Program get recognition for their efforts. If a
trade is preferred, I can also provide a wide variety of VT fish species
in exchange.  We can make arrangements for trade, exchange, etc. by
sending me an email: dwightmoody at hotmail_com.