Re: Pond Fish

Killies will no doubt be included in the pond, then. :)  I honestly never
considered using the bucket as a stand alone device for growing out live
foods.  The pond has such high harvests of backswimers, mosquito larvae,
and so forth.  Daphnia, fortunately, are available from several ponds,
with a little luck on the timing.
Collecting today went rather poorly.  Harvesting a bunch of Grammarus was
the highlight.  Caught three darters, the smaller of which I turned back.
The two I did catch were both in relatively good condition, and a male and
a female.  However, the faemale appears to be in poor shape now.  Have her
on the back porch with an airstone, hoping she'll make it.
I'm not sure why collecting went so poorly... maybe the mild winter, but I
only saw these three darters, and no eggs.  This is one of my favorite
collecitng sites, as its usually full of darters and other fishes.  I hope
thi sis not typical.....
<><
J. L. Wiegert

Follow-Ups: References: